Have You Been Involved in a Slip and Fall Accident?
Banafshe Law Firm PLC August 23, 2018
It is estimated that slip and fall accidents are the cause of 15 percent of the accidental deaths in the United States. Anyone can be a victim of a slip and fall accident because they can occur anywhere. There are several things that you should and should not do if you are the victim of an slip and fall accident.
• Get Medical Attention as Soon As Possible: Your well-being is the most important thing that you have to look out for after an accident. That is why it is important to get medical care. You will also be able to document your injuries, which will help you support your claim. You will have to provide proof that you have been injured if you want to get compensated for your injuries.
• Report the Accident: Regardless of whether the accident occurred in a store, apartment building or at a friend’s house, you will need to report it as soon as possible. You will have to get the business owner or landlord to fill out an accident report. Make sure that you have a copy of the report before you leave.
• Preserve the Accident Evidence: You will need to take pictures at the place that you fell. You will also need to document the conditions of the scene. This is evidence that you will be able to use later on when you file a claim.
• Hire a Personal Injury Attorney: It is best for you to hire a personal injury attorney. Your attorney will be able to help you deal with insurance adjusters. They can also help you file a claim. Furthermore, they can help you avoid making a costly mistake.
• Talk to the Business Representatives: Many businesses will hire their own private investigators. You should not give any statements to a private investigator. You should also not accept any settlements that the investigators offer you.
• Get on Social Media: You do not want to say anything about your accident on social media. It is best for you to avoid social media completely if you have been involved in a slip and fall accident. If people see you happy and having fun on social media, then this can be used against you. Insurance companies are already looking for reasons to not pay you.
• Talk to the Insurance Company: You are not obligated to give any statements to the insurance company. In fact, insurance companies are looking for anything that they can use against you. That is why it is best for you to not say anything at all.